Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Might As Well Face It You're Addicted To Love"


I have a friend who, last year, began to have romantic interest in someone who turned out to be an ex-drug addict. This person had been clean for a year, and had since given their life to God, but had become what non-believers derisively call a "Jesus Freak." They were all Jesus, all the time, making their new-found faith very known.

This person was very nice and thoughtful to my friend, showing them a lot of interest and attention. So much so that it caught my attention, in the wrong way. My friend is certainly worth this level of focus, but this person seemed overly-nice, overly-attentive - overboard.

Eventually, things deteriorated and this person left my friend's life. What it left me was the revelation that this person traded their addiction to drugs for an addiction to God and my friend. This person wasn't as much being healed of their addiction as they were using God and romantic interest in my friend to fill the void in them left by the drugs.

That void has to be filled, in all people. There's certainly nothing better to fill the void than God. He cleans up addicts every day. Miracles is His specialty. But, in this person's case, like with all addictions, the satisfaction is fleeting and you're looking for the next fix. I feel sure that in time this person will stop using God as a stop-gap measure and experience true healing of their addiction and a true relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment